New
Find
Notify
Tools

Log splitter problems
 Login/Join

Bernoulli
posted
Home made log splitter was working fine untill last week. The cyclinder move both ways, but will not split wood. Not even small peices. I changed the fluid and filter, and checked for air in the lines. When i take the high pressure line off and move the vaule lever it shoots fluid about 12 to 15 feet. Anyone have any advise. Thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: 02 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
Picture of Bud T
posted Hide Post
Check the coupling between the motor and pump to see if it is actually turning the pump under load. Could be a stripped key or coupling that drives until it hits a load.

Somewhere in the circuit is a Relief Valve, probably built in to the Lever Control Valve that makes the cylinder move both directions. It also could be a separaye item in the pump outlet line to the control valve.

It will have a stiff spring pushing against a steel ball or poppet and allows oil to bypass the cylinder if it cannot overcome the load. It may or may not be adjustable.

It could have a broken spring, some sort of debris holding it open or anything that will allow it to bypass at low pressure.

Seems the most logical, however, a bad pump can shoot oil a good distance but still be worn enough to not build pressure.

Check the simple stuff before changing the pump out.

Bud Trinkel
FP Consultant Retired
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. "Thomas Jefferson"

Posts: 1761 | Location: Newburgh, Indiana | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. This log splitter has a 16 hp motor with cluch drive to the pump with chain and sprocket, and is turning under load. Spring and poppet in pump looks ok. When the arm is fully extended the motor lugs down, and almost dies. I adjusted the cluch as well.

Pascal
posted Hide Post
I think you probably have a hi-lo type pump and the unloading valve for the high volume section has quit working for some reason. This valve, built into the pump, should allow the high volume section of the pump to bypass at a certain pressure so that only the low volume pump is loading the engine.

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world --
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, GA | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pascal
posted Hide Post
Is there a pressure gauge in the system? What does it read when cyl is moving, and what read when stalled at end of stroke and engine is stalling?

kcj

Posts: 493 | Location: Minneapolis MN USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
Picture of Bud T
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the arm is fully extended the motor lugs down, and almost dies.

I go along with C1ay's diagnostics with this added info.

It is best to supply all the information, even when it seems trivial, on the first post.

Bud Trinkel
FP Consultant Retired
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. "Thomas Jefferson"

Posts: 1761 | Location: Newburgh, Indiana | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all your input on my problem. It has taken me a few weeks to get things checked out. After checking the pump, valve, and all lines, I had the cylinder rebuilt, and the splitter is working great. I split wood for about and hour and a half yesterday, and had no problem. Thanks again for all your help.
Terry