Back to HydraulicsPneumatics.com    Fluid Power Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Fluid Power Discussion    Wood splitter/2 stage pump troubles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood splitter/2 stage pump troubles
 Login/Join

Bernoulli
posted
I have a wood splitter with a Barnes 2 stage pump (11gpm) and a Briggs 6.5hp. The ram comes out at normal speed (faster) but when it cintacts the wood the ram just stops and sits there. It acts like it is not kicking into the lower 2nd stage of the pump. Any thoughts?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 06 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
Picture of Bud T
posted Hide Post
The first GUESS would be the Low Volume/Hi Pressure Gears are not turning due to a broken drive shaft or striipped keyway.

You will have to take it to a hydraulic shop to be inspected or disassemble the pump yourself to see if that is the problem.

NOTICE "GUESS" IS CAPITALIZED TO MAKE IT STAND OUT.

Bud Trinkel
FP Consultant Retired
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. "Thomas Jefferson"

Posts: 1761 | Location: Newburgh, Indiana | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I will tear it down tonight and see what I find.

Bourdon
Picture of Bud T
posted Hide Post
Just thought of an easier thing to check.

Someplae in the circuit, usually part of the Directional Control valve, is a Relief Valve.

Check it first for a broken spring or other damage. It sets maximum pressure and would cause the sympton you see if it is relieving too soon.

Bud Trinkel
FP Consultant Retired
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. "Thomas Jefferson"

Posts: 1761 | Location: Newburgh, Indiana | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
I checked that last night, I pulled out the spring and checked the ball and all seemed fine. The only other way I thought I might be able to check it is to remove the return line and see if there is flow coming out while I have the valve pulled. Would this work or is there always going to be some flow out of this line?

Pascal
Picture of Nahum Goldenberg
posted Hide Post
Before taking the pump to a workshop I'll
suggest:
1) Check cylinder internal seals. Do
...that by opening the Hose on cylinder
...Rod Side and try again. If no cylinder
...movement and oil coming out , cylinder
...should be repaired.
2)Check oil level at at cylinder extended.

Posts: 277 | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
Picture of Bud T
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only other way I thought I might be able to check it is to remove the return line and see if there is flow coming out while I have the valve pulled. Would this work or is there always going to be some flow out of this line?

Flow should not come out of the return line if all other systems are OK.

However, as Nahum mentioned, If the cylinder seal is bypassing that flow would be going to Tank and give a false indication.

Be careful when removing lines to check for flow. The lines can be very high velocity and can at the least get you wet but possibly fly around and cause injury.

ANCHOR ANY REMOVED LINE THAT WILL HAVE FLOW WHILE IT IS REMOVED FROM ITS INTENDED FUNCTION.

Bud Trinkel
FP Consultant Retired

Pascal
posted Hide Post
what is the pressure at the pump when it stalls?
Need a pressure gauge reading.

kcj

Posts: 485 | Location: Minneapolis MN USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
Update:

I removed the pump and tore it down, all shear pins are in place and all looks normal. Checked the cylinder by removing the opposite end line as suggested and cylinder is not leaking past the seals. I am going to replace the supply line from the tank to the pump as it is old and wonder if the interior lining might be colapsing? I am hearing allot of whinning at the valve when the cylinder ram contacts the wood? If not the supply line can the valve go bad (remember the spring and ball look fine in the pressure relief)?????? Stumped on this one (no pun intended)

Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
On a side note since I have to drain the fluid out of the tank, I saw where someone reccommended using 10w30 motor oil instead of hydraulic fluid. Said it would not be affected by the cold weater like the hydraulic fluid??? Has anyone tried this? Give me some thoughts.

Pascal
posted Hide Post
Need a pressure reading at pump or cylinder when the wedge stalls at the log.

If it is low, the flow is bypassing somewhere, like valve RV or adjustment or pump worn.

I don't think oil matters if you are testing at reasonable temperatures.

Suction hose collapse would likely cause pump noise, and be slow sluggish but have some pressure.
To change the suction hose without draining, try tilting way on its side, or try using a shop vac on the tank inlet to pull a vaccuum while changing the hose connection. Have done thatmany times on 500 gallon tanks to reduce leakge when changing pumps.

If you hear noise at valve I will bet it is releif valve set way too low. The gauge reading will tell.

k

Posts: 485 | Location: Minneapolis MN USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
If the check valve in your pump were to stick open. The pump would build psi up to the setting of the unloading valve(around 600psi). Then it would start dumping all the oil back to the supply side of the pump. The pump should start to heat up rather quickly

Posts: 4 | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pascal
posted Hide Post
Check the control valve for bypass or even perhaps a crack in it internally.You will never know what pressure you have until you guage it.

Posts: 101 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
I looked locally for a gauge this weekend with no luck. Here is where I'm at: New 6 1/2 Brigss and stratton motor, I replaced the suction hose and noticed improved speed of the cylinder (till it hits the log) I changed the control valve which improved the speed even more but still just sits there when it hits the log, I also changed the cracking hose from the pump to the valve and to the tank. I removed the line from the end of the cylinder (return side) while extending the ram and while it is hitting the log and I have no bypass flow coming through the cylinder. I have dissasembled the pump and all shear pins are intact and functioning. I will order a pressure gauge online if need be. It has a barnes pump 11gpm is there and adjustment for a bypass in the pump???