Back to HydraulicsPneumatics.com    Fluid Power Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Fluid Power Discussion    Hydraulic motors turning backward?????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hydraulic motors turning backward?????
 Login/Join

Boyle
posted
You guys have helped me with several problems on my Ransomes AR 250 Fairway mower. Got the lift cylinder fixed. Took the mower out for a test run today. The AR 250 has five separate 22 inch rotary decks. I noticed that the cut quality was poor on the two rear decks. Upon investigation, I found out that the decks were spinning in the opposite direction of the cutting surface of the blades (and opposite of the front decks)... the parts manual shows that all of the blades should be the same. Further observation showed that several rear deck motor hoses (not case drain hoses)look to have been replaced recently. Looking at the posted hydraulic schematic, the hose routing seems to be correct. Motor RPM is slower than it should be. My question is, "What could cause the rear deck motors to spin backwards?"

Posts: 33 | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
posted Hide Post
I can only think of two things, the hoses are backwards on those two motors, or the plumbing may be right and the motors may have been turned 180 degrees which would reverse rotation while keeping the plumbing looking correct.

Posts: 643 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Boyle
posted Hide Post
I switched the hoses and the 2 motors reversed direction. The hoses don't like being that way much but it will work for now. I 'm wondering if the motors can be reversed without complete disassembly. In other words can the 4 bolts be removed and case drain and base plate be left configured like they are and the motor in the middle section be turned around 180 degrees? I'm thinking the whole thing will need to be taken apart and swapped around. Maybe I just need to leave it alone and get hoses that are happy with that configuration??
Are hydraulic motors like the Casappa motors on this mower "timed" to run better or faster in one direction or another? I'm wondering how this screwed up mess of the 2 rear deck motors turning backward ever came about. It must have something to do with the three new hoses that go from motors 3 to 4 then to 5. I would appreciate any insight.

Bourdon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I switched the hoses and the 2 motors reversed direction. The hoses don't like being that way much but it will work for now. I 'm wondering if the motors can be reversed without complete disassembly. In other words can the 4 bolts be removed and case drain and base plate be left configured like they are and the motor in the middle section be turned around 180 degrees? I'm thinking the whole thing will need to be taken apart and swapped around. Maybe I just need to leave it alone and get hoses that are happy with that configuration??
Are hydraulic motors like the Casappa motors on this mower "timed" to run better or faster in one direction or another? I'm wondering how this screwed up mess of the 2 rear deck motors turning backward ever came about. It must have something to do with the three new hoses that go from motors 3 to 4 then to 5. I would appreciate any insight.

There is no timing to worry about. As long as the motor was assembled as a bi-directional motor, then there is nothing to change internally. They were more than likely arranged that way as there is a case drain and they are intended to be operated in series. I don't know if I can explain this very well, but the only way to reverse the rotation of a motor without simply changing the hoses over is changing which side of the gear housing the output shaft is on. To do that, either the mounting flange and rear cover can be turned, or just turn the entire motor. Now if the mounting flange is orientated the way you want but the rear cover ports arn't where you want them, you should be able to turn the rear cover around while leaving the gear housing and gear set the way they are, assuming the thrust blocks are bi-directional and not just pump thrust blocks (different seal arrangement). Do you have the model number for your motor?

Posts: 643 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
posted Hide Post
I made the assumption that the porting is in the rear cover, is it in the sides of the gear housing? If that is the case than you are stuck with what you have unless you turn the whole motor at it's mounting location in order to change the relationship of the drive shaft location in relation to the gear housing.

Boyle
posted Hide Post
I will take some pictures and look for model numbers. It is a mystery to me why this mower is like this. It appears to me that someone did not know what they were doing and somehow got those rear motors backward. The 3 new hoses are a big clue that someone was working on it. I think I understand your answer but I will post some pics for clarification.

Boyle
posted Hide Post
I photographed the Casappa deck motor numbers. They are on the attached photo. Any information on these motors such as parts availability and seal kits etc. would be appreciated. Jacobsen prices on the kits is over a hundred dollars per motor. There are 5 motors. Thanks

Casappa deck motor numbers

Bourdon
posted Hide Post
Shoot me an email and tomorow I will give you a price on a seal kit, and a small bit of service info. My email adress can be found here: http://www.hansonhydraulics.com/contact.html