New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil turns to jelly???
 Login/Join

Bernoulli
posted
I recently serviced some power packs where after draining the tanks and removing the lids, what was left on the bottom of the tank can only be described as clear loose jelly. I came across this many years ago and never really could find a definitive answer as to the cause of this type of contamination.

The hydraulic oil used is a standard ISO 46 grade fluid, the old oil didn't smell particularly burnt or appear that dirty so I was a little surprised at this loose jelly found on the bottom.

Anyone have any views as I need to file a report and would like to identify this problem rather than just say "contamination found".

Thanks in advance to the replies.

Posts: 3 | Location: UK | Registered: 14 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Boyle
posted Hide Post
May be worthwhile to get a lab test done from the oil suppliers if no obvious reason can be found

Posts: 35 | Location: uk | Registered: 05 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bernoulli
posted Hide Post
You should try using a higher quality hydraulic Oil like this.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 15 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New User
posted Hide Post
Yes you should go for testing to find the exact reason for this problem and solve it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New User
Picture of Robinsilva
posted Hide Post
No I dont think so you should try with hydraulic Oil because by using hydraulic Oil, the oil in the hydraulic system turns into dark brown jelly!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Washington | Registered: 22 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post