Back to HydraulicsPneumatics.com    Fluid Power Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  System Design / Troubleshooting    golf cart conversion from electric
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

golf cart conversion from electric
 Login/Join

New User
posted
I have had the idea to convert an old 3 wheel golf cart to hydraulic drive. what are my major decisions in taking on such a project? I have a pump, motor and engine. the cart has a gearbox and i belive adapting the hyd motor is no problem. my concern is acceleration, braking and ratios needed for speed. has anyone ever done this?

Posts: 1 | Location: ohio | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pascal
Picture of Nahum Goldenberg
posted Hide Post
The most common use us a close loop hydrostatic transmission.
Have a look at the attached typical curcuit.
Sizing and selecting the right components is another story.
More date required such as rolling resistance, slope, speeds
and power available. Such a system will control acceleration,
deaceleration even constant power and torque control.

Posts: 277 | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
Picture of Bud T
posted Hide Post
Your best bet based on your present knowledge of hydraulics is to go to a local Tech school and talk to the Hdraulics Instructor to see if he might take this on as a class project. I know a similar undertaking was handled by a local Tech Colege class some years back and the instructor was happy to have a real world circuit to design. In fact it was one of his students and they also plumbed the circut they designed.

Trying to design a circuit and get you up to speed so you could understand it is beyond any forum such as this.

Take a look at this web site to see a similar undertaking for a Motorcycle Hydro-static drive. That will give you an idea of what is involved and why you need a lot of knowledge about hydraulics.
http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/index.htm

Bud Trinkel
FP Consultant Retired
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. "Thomas Jefferson"

Posts: 1761 | Location: Newburgh, Indiana | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourdon
Picture of Bud T
posted Hide Post
Here is another web site on a Military vehicle that is hydraulic drive.
http://www.hydraulicspneumatic...le/False/83400/Issue

Bud Trinkel
FP Consultant Retired
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. "Thomas Jefferson"

Posts: 1761 | Location: Newburgh, Indiana | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post